Grief is a funny thing. There is no rhyme or reason to the process. Here is a list of what grief specifically looks like for me.
The Lion King (2019) – Film and Soundtrack- My thoughts (aka don’t let nostalgia and perceived expectations take away from how good this film actually is)
Let me preface this post by saying this: The original Lion King will always be better than any other version, ever. Just saying. Also there will be spoilers, so if you haven’t seen the new film and you don’t want to be spoiled (I know, I know…how can there be spoilers if it’s a remake? Well, there can be because of new scenes or moments that weren’t in the original film…anyway, spoiler alert for those who mind…)
~~~~~~~~ Continue reading “The Lion King (2019) – Film and Soundtrack- My thoughts (aka don’t let nostalgia and perceived expectations take away from how good this film actually is)”
DNA – Backstreet’s Back!
After twenty-five years this “boy” band does not disappoint. From the first note of Don’t Go Breaking My Heart to the final ring of Ok this album DNA gives me hope for the year to come. At least for the music landscape as a whole.
I must admit, I haven’t been a fan of the Backstreet Boys for as long as they’ve existed. Twenty-five years ago in 1994, I was nine years old and still listening to the music my parents listened to and hadn’t formed my own personal musical tastes as such. It wasn’t until BSB’s album Millennium was released that they really came into my radar. But, that cemented them in my mind if not quite my heart.
Every release since, I’ve waited with some anticipation for each one. But, it wasn’t until In a World Like This that I fully realised my love for this group. And now as DNA is released to the world, I reflect on the impact this group has made on my music journey as a whole.
But, before I get to that, my thoughts on the twelve tracks on this album.
- Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – When they released this track in the middle of 2018, I was so excited and ready for new BSB music. Though I didn’t love the song straight away, I do enjoy its strong beats and their dance moves in the music video.
- Nobody Else – it took a second listen of this track for me to appreciate what was being said in the song as the electronic tones jarred for me a little. But, when I concentrate on the harmonies and the lyrics, it speaks to me so profoundly.
- Breathe – one of my favourites on the album. BSB a capella will always be great as it showcases their harmonies so well.
- New Love – the subject matter of this song jarred with my sensibilities for a moment, but, it has a fun beat and a great tone to it. A good song to play in a club
- Passionate – this is such a catchy song, it makes me want to get up and dance, makes me feel so passionate too. Haha
- Is It Just Me – a more mellow track, still with a good dance beat
- Chances – This song. My heart. Enough said.
- No Place – I love the video the boys released with this song, a glimpse into their family lives. And importantly a singable chorus.
- Chateau – I love the simple opening with just the single vocals and keyboard chords. Then leading into the vocal harmonies. Beautiful.
- The Way it Was – I could imagine the boys singing this like old time crooners Jersey Boys style.
- Just Like You Like It – It feels like one of their songs from the Never Gone era.
- Ok – This song really concentrates on their harmonies and simple musical stylings with guitar and beats. And a beautiful way to round off the album
I love this album, I love how I can listen to every single track without skipping a song. It makes me think of another band that I can do that with. Simple Plan. Yes, I can’t not mention my all time favourite band, ever. Because, I think in a weird roundabout way, if I wasn’t so into 90’s pop music (of which BSB is the unofficial ambassador) when I was a tween/teenager I wouldn’t have been drawn to the pop tones of Simple Plan. And yes, they are more pop than punk, fight me.
I do believe now, in hindsight, that the Backstreet Boys have had more of a profound impact on my music journey than I used to think. Especially since I kinda had a song crush on NSYNC’s Bye Bye Bye (and It’s Gonna Be Me) for a whole year. But, Backstreet Boys has lasted. I mean, they’re twenty-five years old! We enter their twenty-sixth year as a group, and that is amazing. And their music has featured on many a playlist of mine over the last two decades. That’s a long time. Only Simple Plan comes second to that.
And I’m hoping with the release of DNA that that will continue for the foreseeable future.
Backstreet Boys are definitely in my DNA.
Backstreet’s Back, alright!
This Was 2018
It’s December. Three sleeps until Christmas. The joy of the season sits upon my heart, but with a depth of sorrow that I didn’t think I would experience so soon in my life. My husband, Mark, passed way in early November after three years of marriage. A time that I will never regret. He was one of the best people to ever walk into my life, and I am ever grateful to God that He brought us together. Continue reading “This Was 2018”
Limbo – no, not that Limbo.
Do you ever find yourself in a season of waiting? A season where life just seems to be an endless loop of the same thing – get up, go to work, go home to bed. Where you wonder what life is actually for? That’s where I’m at the moment.
Middle of the Year – 2018 So Far
It’s that time of the year again. The half way mark, where I give you all a run down of how the year was up to now. A lot has happened this year, but everything pales in comparison to what Mark and I are going through as I type.
“Sleepy Perth.” (Bed Hair – Thirteen)
Late the next morning and I was sitting in the hotel restaurant with Bianca and David, Chuck and Pierre, resting after gorging ourselves on the breakfast buffet. Yes, I did say Pierre was there. Come on, it’s not like I could avoid him, right? Though after the previous night it would’ve been some relief, but Bianca had insisted I come and eat breakfast with her. I still hadn’t managed to talk to Pat about any of this, either. For some reason he wasn’t up early today…or perhaps that was by design.
Continue reading ““Sleepy Perth.” (Bed Hair – Thirteen)”
It Just Ain’t Cricket
If you’re Australian, or anyone who lives in a country where Cricket dominates your sports news, you will have heard of the ball tampering scandal which occurred in the third Test between South Africa and Australia. I wasn’t going to comment on what happened anywhere on the inter webs, but the constant bombardment of the incident in Australian media is something I do want to comment on.
The First of March
The following vignette is something I wrote in my journal to help me process some thoughts that were going through my mind. I find it helpful to write like I’m having a conversation with one of my characters when I’m trying to think things through.
Daniel is Daniel McTavish an Irish Mafia hitman who repented of his sins, gave up the Mafia life and is now a youth pastor.
This is not a story per se, so I thought it better to share in my blog.
The song lyrics is a hymn called Trust and Obey written originally by John H Sammis. Continue reading “The First of March”
Rend Collective – Good News (Album)
This morning, I sat down and listened to this album that was released at the beginning of the year. This wasn’t my first listen through; however, I wanted to write down what thoughts I had for each track as I listened, and then share them here on my blog. I wrote my thoughts out in my journal and so some of these thoughts are disjointed and are stream of thought. This is not a formal review, just a collection of thoughts from my mind invoked by the music.
Here is the tracklist of Good News – Rend Collective – along with links to the songs on YouTube
- Life Is Beautiful – https://youtu.be/Yh9oH27LvNA
- I Will Be Undignified – https://youtu.be/CkFGG14JJ-c
- Rescuer (Good News) – https://youtu.be/sAg7rn7fH3Q
- Counting Every Blessing – https://youtu.be/82b0Tiy0ykk
- Nailed to the Cross – https://youtu.be/OmBXy4sLqjM
- Hymn of the Ages – https://youtu.be/OmBXy4sLqjM
- True North – https://youtu.be/G7HTchrZnZA
- Resurrection Day – https://youtu.be/tc7OcNceuVw
- No Outsiders – https://youtu.be/vDwKPUumIHo
- Weep With Me – https://youtu.be/GAGqvq4N_zQ
- Weep With Me (Reprise) – https://youtu.be/KC8nim-g6ec
- Marching On (feat. Hillsong Young & Free) – https://youtu.be/nsTHv-atxDc
- Yahweh – https://youtu.be/qd7R1H79Vok
- Counting Every Blessing (Ukulele Session) – https://youtu.be/9QFeJ0h288o
- Christ Lives in Me – https://youtu.be/UYCJ-UdpJNY
And now for my thoughts